Banned Melbourne Demons forward Joel Smith has broken his silence after being handed a four-year ban for violating five anti-doping rules across a three-year period.

Smith's suspension was handed down based on a positive cocaine test on match-day in Round 23, 2023, trafficking or attempted trafficking of cocaine on three instances, once in 2020 and twice in 2022, and possession of cocaine in September 2022.

The 42-game forward has not been allowed to play football, or any officially organised sport, since the suspension was issued, with the ban ending on January 9, 2028. Smith is allowed to return to training in November 2027 however.

Speaking on The Watch with Ben Gibson podcast, Smith revealed his intentions to return to an AFL list despite the extended break from the sport.

Smith noted he had been keeping his fitness up to scratch since his ban commenced in hopes to be in ripe shape for when the suspension is lifted.

In the Demons' time of need, May owes them big time
Joel Smith and Steven May during the 2022 AFL Round 1 match between Melbourne and Western Bulldogs (Photo by Cameron Grimes / Zero Digital Media)

"For me, staying fit's the big one. I find it's good for my mental health, keeps me ticking over. Heading to the gym, heading to the classes or doing my gym by myself. Just keep my body ticking over," Smith said.

"I think I've got two and a half years left to go. I'm gonna go back to play footy.

"Jeez, if I get another crack at AFL or whatever it is, playing local.

"I'll definitely be back into playing footy of some sort."

Smith, who will be approaching his 32nd birthday when his ban ends, believes four years without the impact of the contact sport will hold him in good stead to play high quality football at an older age.

Hoping to be a contributor for a contending team, Smith said another short stint at AFL level is achievable, but hasn't delved into a viable pathway to get back to the top flight.

"I'll be 31, I'll be a young 31. The body's not gonna get knocked around, so I've still got whatever that is, whatever the time frame is there," Smith said.

"I haven't really properly looked at it, I haven't spoken to anyone.

"It's something I'll look into closer, but right now I'm just working and being a dad, staying happy and healthy. When it gets closer that's when I'll start asking questions about it all but it's definitely something that's in the background that I would be keen to give another crack.

โ€œEven if I just come back, play four years, like 36 (years old). If I can come and potentially give a team something that are chasing a flag, that'd be great.

"Four years, I feel like I'd get a lot out of that... If it does happen, it'd be great, but there's always local footy as well."

Former St Kilda footballer Ahmed Saad and former Collingwood players Lachlan Keeffe and Josh Thomas are previous AFL players to be suspended for doping and return to the top flight, however all three received two-year bans, half the sentence of Smith's.